Titanium: The Head of School's Blog
August 23, 2019
Greetings Titan family!
At a recent faculty meeting, one teacher pointed out that the first week and a half of school felt like a month. The conventional thinking around that statement might suggest that “If time flies when you’re having fun, then…” However, I have a different perspective from observing our students and teachers.
Time also seems to be irrelevant when you are focused and completely present with the people around you. This absence of “time-sense” can easily make a moment feel like it lasts much longer than it really does. The commitment of our faculty to serve our mission is clear. We are not driven by rigid timelines or the race to finish a textbook. We are driven by relationships and mission. Ultimately, that emotionally labor intensive work is what creates the learning opportunities that prepare your children to lead educated and meaningful lives.
It also reminds me of a quote by Groucho Marx. “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.”
As we advance towards the end of August, please note the following items of interest:
- The TPA is working to start Pizza Fridays again - which will be called “Friday Feasts.” Their hope is to begin in September, and they are working on a more efficient system to manage these events. Be on the lookout for information. Volunteers are needed, so if you can help, please contact them at TPA@hteshouston.org.
- The TPA is also beginning preparation for Fall Festival. The more help we have, the better the event. Please contact them for volunteer opportunities. A Fall Festival Steering Committee is being formed and will likely begin meeting very soon.
- We also have a large selection of used uniforms still available. This includes recently discovered plaid shorts, plaid skorts, polos, and sweatshirts. All items are $3 each.
- We are trying to form HTES basketball teams to participate in i9 sports. Please contact Coach Bowden to sign up or for more information.
- Thank you to everyone who has participated in the current spirit item campaign. This campaign ends August 26. The red shirts will be printed and shipped. Once they arrive, we will send a notice. We still need to sell 25 long sleeved shirts and 42 hats for those items to be printed. To order your items, please visit our spirit items page on the website.
Finally, for families of our 3rd - 5th graders, the Google Document to submit questions has been updated to include a variety of FAQs given to us by Grand Classroom. Please visit this document for more information. We will be compiling all your questions and providing answers next week.
Thank you for your continued support of our school.
It’s a great time to be a Titan,