The 4K class emphasizes balance between academic readiness and transitioning children from a preschool experience to a elementary school experience. Specifically, this year continues to emphasize the importance of play in a child’s learning with introducing additional emphasis on managing routines and academic readiness for Kindergarten. Ultimately, 4K prepares students academically and socially while instilling a love for learning in a nurturing environment.
Specific academic areas of focus include:
- Literacy skills - phonetic sounds, letters, sight words, daily journals, using upper and lower case letters, and writing/spelling one’s name correctly
- Math - numbers up to 20, patterns, graphing, sorting, time, money, addition, and subtraction
- Social Studies - monthly thematic units coordinate with the seasons and holidays
- Science - using science journals, seasons, weather, exploring various life forms (animals, plants, bugs, etc.)
- STEM - STEMscopes Early Explorer program
Highlights from the 4K year include:
- Visiting the Oil Ranch in Hockley, Texas.
- Making seasonal, monthly posters for a nursing home in Humble, Texas.
- Collecting hygiene products to send to the military in the spring.
- Sending cards to General William Weise for his friends living in an assisted living home in Washington D.C.